Monday, April 25, 2011

Things To Think About Before You Start Working Out

It has been almost five months since I began to develop what I call the assassin’s workout and about two months actually using my own workouts. While I have dropped my body fat percentage from 15% to 10%, I have a ways to go before I can truly call myself an ASSASSIN. Most of the changes are due to a strict nutrition plan and workouts that takes anywhere from 15 to 35 minutes a day, five times a week, with Saturday as either a bonus day with a specific challenge or a rest day and Sunday always resting. Here are some things to think about as you begin to workout.

Change is the Spice of Life!

When someone plays the piano, they know that each note will progress towards the final cadence; however, If that person kept hitting the same note over and over again, it would no longer be a song, it would just be noise. It’s the same with a workout. If you keep doing the same thing, you are effectively halting your progression towards the physical goals you’ve set out for yourself and are more likely to stop. That’s why changing up what you’re doing on a daily basis will get you past those bumps in the road and make working out much more fulfilling.

Nutrition Trumps Everything

A lot of my close friends ask me for nutritional advice and I notice the same questions always pop up. So I would like to say one thing on nutrition. If you are eating the wrong things than no amount of working out will help you. Let me qualify that statement. There are some who believe that if you workout a lot and burn calories like crazy you can eat just about anything, but the issue has nothing to do with caloric intake. Rather it has a lot to do with your body’s needs. In order to maintain muscle you need certain types of food, and no, protein is not the end all of muscle growth. There are many factors that play into conditioning your body. I know I can eat a piece of cake on Saturday and a brownie on Sunday and probably be fine, but if I’m eating things with tons of refined sugar all the time, I can guarantee that my body will become as soft as the state puff marshmallow man. I’ll have to dedicate an article to just nutrition, however, for the sake of time, let me just say that you should be less concerned about how many calories you eat and more concerned about when and what you eat.

Gymnastics Ain’t Easy

Even though the workout I have developed doesn’t have gymnast exercises as part of the main workouts, I decided to put physical challenges as bonus material for those who want to go above and beyond and join an elite group of people who master all the skills (I hope this number will surpass my expectations). I took it upon myself to learn how to do some things that I consider assassinesk like flips and tumbling. The first time I attempted to do a back flip, it wasn’t pretty. The first time I tried a front flip I slammed my tailbone against the ground. I watched these amazing people defy gravity, and realized that to perfect those moves, they put in hours of practice. It didn’t come over night. However, I don’t want anyone reading to think that it’s not possible to learn. Each move has a direct correlation with a specific body part, and the more physically fit you are, the easier it is to do the challenge. Still I stand by my belief that gymnastics ain’t easy.

Always Challenge Yourself

Lastly, I want to say that workouts are the ultimate challenge because it’s not a competition against another person, but against yourself. You are attempting to surpass where you were a week, a month or even a year ago. The effort you put into your workouts will be your opportunity to demonstrate to yourself that you can accomplish anything you put your mind to. Any workout program is an exercise in self-motivation. If you succeed in that, than you are more likely to succeed in other areas of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment